Chevrolet Repair/1998 Chevy Camaro

Question
QUESTION: Hi Tom this is Sean again. Seems that the valve lifter has went. The mechanic said their is no way to quiet the valve down. He quoted us at 1000 for the valves on one side. If he does the other side it will be 1400 which is a fair price then he said for the deal of a life time he would upgrade the camshaft for 2400 and do all valves and everything else. He said the old camshaft has a lot of age and miles I it and he thinks the new valves will wear on this camshaft. So we are going to do the 2400 dollar option. Thanks for all the help.

ANSWER: HI SEAN,THIS IS THE BEST OPTION IN THE LONG RUN. SORRY IT WAS NOT CHEAPER,BUT THIS IS A GOOD PRICE FOR NEW LIFTERS AND CAMSHAFT..SOMETIMES NEW LIFTERS WILL WEAR ON THE CAMSHAFT IF THE SHAFT IS IN POOR CONDITION..HE IS NOT GOING TO REPLACE THE VALVES OR DO A VALVE JOB ??,,, JUST LIFTERS AND CAMSHAFT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND THE CAR....TOM

QUESTION: Supposibly their is a camshaft kit on the market that he can get and it has a lot of parts that can be replaced. Here is what he showed me http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNATI-GM-LS1-LS2-LS6-270-279-510-510-ROLLER-CAMSHAFT-CA.        That is the kit that he will try to get or something closer. What do you think. Should the heads be remachined if he has to take them off. Thanks for everything.

Answer
HI SEAN,SINCE HE HAS TO REMOVE THE HEADS I WOULD FOR SURE DO A VALVE JOB OR A THE LEAST CK THEM AND WHILE THE HEADS ARE OFF, GIVE THEM A SHAVE CUT ON THE SURFACE. THIS WILL MAKE SURE THEY ARE GOOD AND FLAT. THIS WILL ADD TO THE COST OF THE JOB,, BUT WELL WORTH IT....THIS CAM KIT IS GOOD FOR THIS CAR..HOPE ALL GOES WELL,,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS