Chevrolet Repair/1998 Chevy Camaro

Question
Hi on our 1998 Z28 Chrevy Camaro when I hit the gas pedal you can hear a ticking in the motor. My dad checked the oil level it was way low. It took 3 quarts to finally level out. Adding the oil did not fix the problem. When you start off you can hear a tick once it shifts and goes to second gear at 2000 rpm  it starts clicking loud again. It is off and on that the ticking occurs. Once it shifts it stops. My dad seems to think it is one of the valves that is stuck. How hard is it to replace and how much would a shop usually charge to fix it. Thanks.

Answer
HI SEAN,WELL IF YOUR SURE THE TICKING SOUND IS IN THE UPPER HALF AND NOT THE LOWER HALF OF THE ENGINE THEN I TO AGREE WITH YOUR DAD..CAN YOU TELL WHAT SIDE OF THE ENGINE IT IS ON ?? IF SO I WOULD TAKE THAT VALVE COVER OFF AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY DAMAGE TO THE ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY. IF SO REPAIR IT. SHOULD NOT BE THAT EXPENSIVE...IF NO DAMAGE IS FOUND ON THE ROCKER ARM AREA THEN YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND MORE THEN LIKELY REPLACE THE LIFTER THAT IS BAD. BUT IF ONE LIFTER IS BAD I WOULD SUGGEST REAPLACING ALL OF THEM AND LOOK AT THE CAM LOBES AS WELL TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE OK. A LIFTER JOB WITH PARTS AND LABOR $500.00 TO $600.00 .THE TICKING NOISE IS NOT FROM A STICKY VALVE..IT IS FROM A LOOSE ROCKER ARM OR BAD LIFTER..GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE INFO,,,TOM.

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS