Chevrolet Repair/Brakes 1994 Chevy pickup

Question
QUESTION: Hey Tom:

My problem is : Front disc brake on drivers side of my pickup seems to drag. I have changed the caliper and bled the brakes twice. Checked the wheel bearings. Did put a new rotor on 2 years ago.

It acts like it is not releasing all the way. Thought it might have something to do with the proportioning valve?
When I have it off the ground and step on the brakes, then go to spin the wheel, it seems to drag some compared to the other side which spins easy.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Dennis

ANSWER: HI DENNIS, WHAT I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DO IS GET THIS UP IN THE AIR AGAIN SPIN THE WHEEL AND WHILE YOU ARE SPINNING IT OPEN UP THE BLEEDER SCREW..IF THIS FREES UP THE CALIPER THEN YOU HAVE ONE OF 2 PROBLEMS,,  CALIPER SLIDES ON THE BUSHINGS ARE BINDING[DIRTY OR LACK OF GREASE.] LAST IS A BAD BRAKE HOSE RUBBER..SOMETIMES THESE HOSES COLLAPSE NOT ALLOWING THE FLUID TO RETURN AS IT SHOULD. IF NO CHANGE IS FELT AFTER DOING THE ABOVE THE FLUID IS NOT THE PROBLEM. THE BRAKE CALIPER IS JUST NOT AS FREE AS THE OTHER SIDE..ARE THE BRAKE PADS WEARING OK ?? AS IN EVEN,, NO PULLING PROBLEM ? THEN I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS UNLESS THE BINDING IS SEVERE. SUCH AS A BURNING SMELL AFTER DRIVING AWILE OR BURNED ROTOR..IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING THIS LET IT GO..CALIPERS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT ARE VERY OFTEN NEVER THE SAME DRAG..BUT IF YOU ARE GETTING A BURNING SMELL AND THE ROTOR LOOKS DISCOLORED REPLACE THE CALIPER IT IS DEFECTIVE.THE PROPORTIONING WOULD NOT CAUSE THIS PROBLEM.. ALSO THE BEST WAY TO CK THIS PROBLEM OUT IS TO DRIVE IT A WHILE TO GET IT HOT..WHEN THINGS GET HOT,THEY EXPAND. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND IF NOT GET BACK TO ME,,,GOOD LUCK TO YOU..TOM.

QUESTION: Tom:  Thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention also that will driving, I can feel a little bit of shimmy in the steering whell. I was contributing that to a hanging caliper.
I don't believe it would be a rotor warped as I have checked it out while spinning it.
Just bugs me enough to keep searching for the cause.

Will do as you suggested in your reply.
Just thought I would add this last bit of info to my previous letter.
Dennis

Answer
HI DENNIS,OK IF YOU ARE GETTING A SHAKE IN THE STEERING WHEEL AFTER DRIVING IT IA BIT THIS MAYBE A HANGING CALIPER. YOU NOTICE ANY SMOKE FROM THIS WHEE ?? ALSO AFTER DRIVING IT SEE IF THIS WHEEL IS HOTTER THEN THE OTHER OTHER SIDE. THIS IS A SIGN OF A HANGING UP CALIPER OR HOSE AS I SAID ABOVE. GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES...TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS