Chevrolet Repair/Carburetor on 1983 Scottsdale

Question
My son has a 1983 Chevrolet Scottsdale. Most of the time it runs excellent. We had a new 305 motor put in 3 months ago, it has a brand new transmission, and we replaced the ignition. Now we are having trouble with the carburetor. Yesterday, we could not keep it running. It sounds and smells like its flooded. Nothing we do will work. Should we replace the carburetor also, or is there something we can do ourselves to fix this?  We have more money invested in this truck than i think it's worth. Thank you in advance for your help.

Answer
HI CARLETTA,IF YOU FEEL THE CARBURETOR IS THE PROBLEM I WOULD REMOVE THIS AND HAVE IT REBUILT.
THE KIT TO REBUILD IS ONLY ABOUT $40.00 PLUS LABOR..FIND A REPAIR SHOP IN YOUR AREA THAT IS WILLIING TO REBUILD THIS..THIS IS PROBABLY 4BRL QUADRAJET CARB. I DO THESE ALL THE TIME..NO PROBLEM AT ALL..BUT BEFORE YOU REMOVE THIS, GET YOURSELF A FLASH LIGHT AND WHILE THE ENG IS RUNNING SHINE THE FLASHLIGHT DOWN THE FRONT 2 BARRELS AND SEE IF YOU SEE FUEL DRIPPING IN. IF SO, THIS IS THE PROBLEM. [YOU SHOULD NOT SEE ANY FUEL DRIPPING DOWN THE FRONT SIDE OF CARB] IT IS RUNNING TO RICH CAUSED BY EITHER BY A BAD FLOAT OR FLOAT NOT SET TO CORRECT SPECS AND LAST A BAD NEEDLE AND SEAT..IF THE FLOAT IS BAD THIS WILL NOT COME IN THE REBUILD KIT YOU WILL NEED TO BUY THIS SEPARATE FOR ABOUT $15.00..AS A RULE THE FLOAT USUALLY ARE OK..TO GET THE CARB KIT YOU WILL NEED THE NUMBER OF THE BACK SIDE OF THE CARBURETOR ON DRIVER SIDE..ONE LAST THING YOU COULD TRY TO DO IF THE NEEDLE AND SEAT IS JUST STICKING REMOVE THE FUEL LINE FROM THE CARB, HOLD YOU FINGER OVER THE LINE AND START THE ENG AND LET IT RUN TILL IT DIES FROM NO FUEL. NOW HOOK THE LINE BACK UP TO THE CARB AND START THE ENG BACK UP. IF THERE IS ANY DIRT ON THE NEEDLE AND SEAT THE RUSH OF FUEL WILL REMOVE THE DIRT FROM THE VALVE. TRY THIS FIRST, SOMETIMES IT DOES WORK..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS WORKS OUT AND IF YOU NEED MORE INFO GET BACK TO ME.  GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS