Chevrolet Repair/Power Steering Pump/Odometer Display

Question
1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71

Two questions:
1.  When I first start my truck the power steering doesn't work but begins to work within the first minute.  What could be wrong?

2.  The display for my odometer, trip, etc. isn't working.  What could fix that?

Thanks.

Answer
HI SCOTT,USUALLY THE PROBLEM WITH THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM FOR THIS TYPE PROBLEM IS FROM DIRTY OIL..I WOULD TRY TO FLUSH THE SYSTEM REAL GOOD AND REFILL IT WITH POWER STEERING OIL,NOT TRANSMISSION OIL.REMOVE THE RETURN LINE AND START IT UP AND KEEP ADDING OIL TO THE SYSTEM TILL IT IS CLEAN.CLOSE IT UP AND ADD FRESH OIL.. SEE IF THIS WORKS...THE NEXT PROLEM IS A FAULTY PUMP..BUT TRY A FLUSH FIRST..
AS FAR AS THE NO ODOMETER AND TRIP THIS IS 99% OF THE TIME THE PRINTED CIRCUIT IS BAD.CK ALL OF YOUR FUSES FIRST OF COURSE...REMOVE THE CLUSTER AND SEND IT OUT TO A REPAIR SHOP  IF FUSES ARE OK...THERE ARE SHOPS THAT REPAIR THESE PRINTED CIRCUITS..YOU CAN LOOK THIS INFO UP ON LINE FOR A CLOSE SHOP NEAR YOU..I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM.  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS