Chevrolet Repair/1995 S 10 wipers

Question
QUESTION: Recently my windshield washer/ wipers began to operate erratically and intermittently.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

ANSWER: GOOD MORNING MORGAN, WITHOUT TESTING, IT WILL ONLY BE A GUESS..ONE OF THREE THINGS, WIPER MOTOR,WIPER SWITCH,OR WIRING..IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TEST LIGHT TO CK THIS YOU COULD TRY TO WIGGLE THE WIPER SWITCH AND SEE IF THIS HAS ANY EFFECT ON IT..IF YOU DID HAVE A 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT YOU COULD CK FOR POWER AT THE WIPER MOTOR WIRING HARNESS WHEN THIS IS ACTING UP..IF THERE IS POWER THERE AT THE HARNESS THEN THE MOTOR IS AT FAULT. IF NOT POWER IS AT THE HARNESS THEN EITHER THE SWITCH IS BAD OR WIRING IS AT FAULT..YOU COULD ALSO TRY WHEN IT IS ACTING UP TO GENTLY PULL ON THE WIPER BLADES IN THE DIRECTION IT IS GOING AND SEE IF THIS STARTS THE WIPERS MOVING. IF SO THE THE MOTOR IS BAD.. MY HYPOTHESIS IS THE WIPER MOTOR IS AT FAULT..JUST A GUESS. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE HEALP,GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,,TOM..

QUESTION: Problem  appears to be electronic not mechanical.  Wipers work, however, when thr mist function is engaged the wipers will sometimes swipe 8-10 times before stopping.  Also, the washer function is intermittent. Is there a common control module or timing circuit that can effect both functions at the same time?

Thanks,

Morgan

Answer
HI MORGAN,NO THERE IS NO MODULE FOR THIS. IT IS CONTROLLED BY THE SWITCH AND MOTOR CASE COVER.  THERE IS A PRINTED CIRCUIT ON THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR....SO YOU MAY HAVE A WIRING PROBLEM OR IT IS MORE THEN LIKELY IN THE MOTOR COVER OR MOTOR ITSELF..YOU CAN GET A REBUILT WIPER MOTOR WHICH WILL COME WITH THE PRINTED CIRCUIT ALREADY MOUNTED TO IT. COST $80 TO $95.00
LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS