Chevrolet Repair/California emissions

Question
Hello,
 My name is David and I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. It's a 4.2L I-6 4x4 and it's getting a little high up there in milage.  My question is:  Can I legally change the I6 for something a little more stable and a little more torque.I intend to keep the car but I wish to swap the engine out for something that can better handle the weight of the car.  The truck was offered with a 5.3L V8 and from what I've heared, the V8's gas milage seems to be the same as the I6 (possibly a bit better).  I wanted to swap in that V8 and keep the car going but there is so much negative talk about that subject here.  Better yet, can another engine from another G.M. platform (LS1?)be used in this Trailblazer and be passed through a California smog referee?  Thank you in advance for any and all advice that you can provide.

Answer
HI DAVID,WELL I HAVE BEEN ASKED THIS TYPE OF QUESTION A MILLION TIMES...YES THIS CAN HAPPEN AND YES IT WILL WORK,THE PERFORMANCE WILL BE BETTER AND THE GAS MI MAYBE A LITTLE BIT BETTER..
BUT NOW COMES THE BUT THAT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR !!!!WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS ??? AND DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS ??? THIS IS A TON OF WORK,, NEW MODULES,NEW ENGINE,NEW WIRING HARNESSES,ALL NEW SENSORS,NEW FUEL PUMP...ANYTHING CAN BE DONE, BUT THE QUESTION IS DO YOU WANT TO SPEND ALOT OF YOUR MONEY ON MAKING THIS HAPPEN ??? ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THIS..YOU CAN LEGALLY DO THIS IF ALL OF THE EMISSIONS ARE MET TO SPECS,EVAP,PURGE VALVE, SHUT VALVE,FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR & ETC..YOU CAN SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS. IF IT WERE ME, I WOULD DO 1 OF 2 THINGS,REPLACE THIS ENGINE WITH THE SAME KIND OF ENGINE OR PUT IT ON CRAIGS LIST AND SELL IT FOR A V8 IF THIS IS WANT YOU WANT..I AM SORRY FOR THE BLUNT NEWS BUT THIS IS HOW I FEEL..GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND IF YOU NEED MORE HELP LET ME KNOW,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS