Chevrolet Repair/Rear Wheel Bearings and Power Steering Sleeve

Question
Hello,

I was told today that my rear wheel bearings need to be replaced on my car.  Additionally, I was told that the input for the power steering sleeve, has too much motion.  (I had wanted to get my car aligned, and due to these issues and the fact, they do not have the necessary tools) they could not do a front end alignment.  My car is a 1977, 4 speed Chevrolet Corvette. It's got a small block, 350.  

The mechanic told me this would be a "large expense."  He had no idea what it would run and could not even give me a ball part guestimation.  

I'm in Raleigh, NC.  Can you give me any idea of what this might run?  I know it will be expensivie, but if I could just get an idea, that would be a huge help!

Below is exactly #word for word# what the mechanic wrote down, when I picked my car up today:

"Input for P/S slave #I think he meant to write sleeve# has too much motion - pittman arm #I have no idea what a pittman arm is# attaches here.  Car needs rear wheel bearings.  All these issues need to be addressed, prior to alignment."

Thank you for your time!

Beth Wilson
Raleigh, NC

Answer
HI BETH,THE PITMAN ARM COMES OFF THE STEERING BOX WHICH IS ATTATCHED TO THE STEERING CENTER LINK, AND ON YOUR CAR THERE IS A POWER STEERING SLEEVE THAT GOES TO THE CENTER LINK AS WELL AND DO GO BAD ,WITH EITHER TO MUCH PLAY IN THEM OR LEAKAGE..EITHER WAY THIS WILL NEED TO GET REPLACED..POWER STEERING RAM IS ABOUT 160.00 AND 1.5  HOURS TO REPLACE..THE PITMAN ARM IS ABOUT $95.00 PLUS LABOR OF ABOUT 1 HOUR..MOST SHOPS GET ABOUT $80.. TO $95.00 PER HOUR..I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET YOURSELF A HEMMINGS MAG AND GET IN THE CORVETTE PART SECTIONS AND CALL UP A FEW PLACES THAT SELL THESE PARTS. THEY MAKE VERY GOOD AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR THESE CAR AND MUCH LESS THEN THE DEALER. YOU WILL FIND PAGE AFTER PAGE OF AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR THIS CAR..AS WILL THE INTERNET..NOW AS FAR AS THE REAR WHEEL BEARINGS GO,YOUR TECH IS CORRECT IT IS INVOLVED. THE REAR TRAILING ARM WILL NEED TO BE REMOVED ALONG WITH THE REAR BRAKES,HALF SHAFT AND SO ON. THEY WILL NEED A PRESS TO REMOVE THE HUB ASSEMBLY AND BEARING..I HAVE NOT REPLACED A REAR BEARING IN ONE OF THESE OLDER VETTES IN A LONG TIME. I HAD A 74 VETTE AND IT COST ME $200 IN PARTS BACK IN 84..A GUESS FOR YOUR CAR IN TODAY'S CLIMATE WOULD BE BEARING AND HUB ASSEMBLY AND LABOR $500.00 A SIDE. $950 TO $1000 BOTH. AGAIN GET THESE PARTS ON LINE OR LOOK UP IN HEMMINGS. AFTER ALL IS REPLACED YOU WILL NEED TO DO A FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT AS YOU KNOW.ONE LAST THING WHILE YOU HAVE THE REAR WHEEL ASSEMBLY APART HAVE YOU TECH'S LOOK AND THE REAR HALF SHAFT U-JOINTS AS WELL.THEY DO GO BAD AND NOW WOULD BE THE TIME TO REPLACE THEM IF NEED BE. U-JOINTS ARE ABOUT 28.00 EACH YOU HAVE 2 OF THEM IN EACH HALF SHAFT,LABOR FOR ALL FOUR U-JOINTS IS ABOUT 2 TO 3 HOUR ..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES FOR YOU OR IF YOU NEED MORE INFO..YOU HAVE A GREAT STATE, I JUST GOT BACK FROM NC RALEIGH AREA,, SAW MY DAUGHTER DOWN THERE LAST WEEK..GOOD LUCK TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS