Chevrolet Repair/1992 Cadillac Deville

Question
Antifreeze
Antifreeze  
QUESTION: Hi Tom this is Sean again with the one that has the Chevy SSR. This time it is on my car the 1992 Cadillac Deville. I am not sure how much you will know on this subject or on Cadillac but. I have a 1992 Cadillac Deville 4.9L V8. Well I spoke too soon. Today I was filling my radiator up with coolant to test my system out. I replaced the water pump the radiator the hoses and the water outlet. I thought I did the inlet and thermostat but I did not. I ran a flush through the system. I dumped all the contents filled it up with new fluid it was running perfect for a good 2 weeks. I dumped it filled it up with new today and all of a sudden it started pumping up brown fluid up that smelled like oil. It was a terrible smell almost like when you disconnect the oil lines from that radiator is what it smelled like. I have gotten a lot of bad radiators from that company where I bought it from. Most of them had cracks in it and I had to destroy 5 of them. The other problem was it was not sucking the fluid down it was flowing over and also going into the back up resivore. Any suggestions why it drained out green and now it is brown. Their is no water in the oil or transmission fluid I checked their. Also from what I can see their is no blown head gasket. The brown stuff in the bucket is antifreeze that bubbled over today I was putting new in today. When I drained it today it was green. When I filled it back up and turned the car on it sucked it down a little and then started gushing that brown fluid that I took a picture of. I bought green coolant. Any suggestions or ideas. Is their a tool or way to test to see if the head gasket has went . Thanks.

ANSWER: HI SEAN, WELL THE WAY IAM READING THIS TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE THE TRANSMISSION COOLER INSIDE THE RADIATOR WENT BAD,NOW THE TRANS OIL IS MIXING WITH THE COOLANT THIS IS MORE THEN LIKELY THE SMELL AND WHY IT IS OVERFLOWING..YOU WILL NOT NOTICE ANY COOLANT IN THE TRANSMISSION BECAUSE THE PRESSURE IS GREATER FROM THE TRANSMISSION THEN THE COOLING SYSTEM..[SO ALL OF YOU TRANS OIL WILL PUMP INTO THE COOLANT]. YES I HAVE SEEN THIS MANY TIMES..THE ENGINE WAS NOT OVER HEATING I WILL ASSUME..THE ONLY WAY THIS COULD GET THIS DIRTY THAT FAST IS FROM OIL FROM EITHER THE TRANS OR ENGINE OIL..DO YOU HAVE A ENGINE OIL COOLER GOING TO THIS RADIATOR AS WELL?? IF SO IT MAYBE ENG OIL INSTEAD OF TRANS OIL. IF THIS WERE A HEAD GASKET PROBLEM I WOULD SUSPECT YOU WOULD HAVE A OVERHEATING PROBLEM AND THE TEMP GAUGE FLUCTUATING AS WELL.. IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD THIS PROBLEM LOOK INTO THE COOLER IN THE NEW RADIATOR FOR THE FAULT..REMEMBER IT WILL NOT TAKE ALOT OF OIL TO MAKE THE COOLANT LOOK VERY DIRTY ONCE IT IS MIXED WITH IT..CK YOUR ENG OIL LEVEL AS WELL. GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES,,,TOM....

QUESTION: Yeah this has 2 transmission lines and 2 oil lines. Is it safe to drive like this for awhile. It is not overheating the light has not come on. I don't have a gauge to tell me what the temperature of the water is. So most likely I will need to replace this radiator again for the 7 time. Oh I almost forgot I wanted to wire in a water temperature gauge on this car the only way I see to do it is to remove the old sensor is their another way that I am over looking. Thanks.

ANSWER: HI SEAN, I WOULD NOT DIVE THIS VERY MUCH AT ALL..AFTER YOU REPLACE THE RADIATOR YOU WILL NEED TO FLUSH THE COOLING SYSTEM AGAIN TO REMOVE AS MUCH OIL AS POSSIBLE. OIL WILL DESTROY COOLING HOSES. TURNS THEM REAL SOFT AND WILL BLOW OUT..AS FAR AS INSTALLING A TEMP GAUGE,DO NOT REMOVE ANY OF YOUR SENSORS FROM THE ENGINE,THEY ALL GO TO THE COMPUTER. YOU WILL NEED TO FIND A WATER JACKET PLUG ON THE SIDE OF YOUR ENGINE OR HEAD REMOVE THAT AND INSTALL THE GAUGE SENSOR IN THERE. GO TO YOUR PART STORE AND GET GAUGE THAT IS FOR YOUR YEAR CAR AND ENGINE AND IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IT WILL TELL YOU WHERE TO HOOK THIS TO YOUR BLOCK..GOOD LUCK,,, TOM..

QUESTION: Just drained all the antifreeze out of the system. I pulled the transmission dip stick and the fluid was milky brown the same color that was in the bucket in the picture. I found this strange. I pulled the oil dip stick twice it was fine. So I wiped what fluid was on the transmission dip stick off and put it back in. I pulled it back out and it was the same color. What could this mean and what do I need to do I am buying a new transmission filter and fluid now and draining all the old out and I will change it again in another 3000 miles just to get it all out. What do you think. Thanks.

Answer
HI SEAN I ONLY SAW THIS HAPPEN ONCE BEFORE,THE COOLANT GOT INTO THE TRANSMISSION AS WELL. TIME FOR A NEW RADIATOR,HAVE THE TRANSMISSION OIL [[FLUHED WITH A MACHINE]] TO REMOVE ALL THE OLD OIL AND COOLANT,THEN REPLACE THE FILTER AS WELL...THIS TRANSMISSION MUST BE FLUSHED TO GET ALL THE OIL OUT OF THE CONVERTOR AND VALVE BODY AND CLUTCH DRUMS... DROPPING THE PAN WILL NOT DO THIS...GOOD LUCK TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS