Chevrolet Repair/1996 chevy c-1500 transmission problems

Question
QUESTION: i have a 1996 chevy c-1500  W/T pick-up. recently my clutch decided not to work coming off the highway.  I was in 5th gear and tried to down shift, I actually got it to go into 4th but it grinded in there. I was then able to shift into first to get off the interstate. Then I the shifter will move back and forth but will not engage any other gear. motor is 6 cylinder 4.6 liter.
just want to know if there is a chance my tranny is NOT SHOT.

THANX    DAVE

ANSWER: HI DAVE,WELL THIS DOES NOT SOUND GOOD TO ME..SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE THE INPUT SHAFT TO THE COUNTER SHAFT WENT BAD..DOES IT FEEL LIKE IT SHIFTS OK WHEN TRUCK IS NOT RUNNING,,IF SO,YOU MAY HAVE JUST BLOWN THE CLUTCH..IF THERE IS NO NOISE WHEN THE ENG IS RUNNING I WOULD SUSPECT THE CLUTCH DISC IS BAD....THERE MAY HAVE BEEN JUST ENOUGH LEFT ON THE CLUTCH TO GET IT MOVING IN FIRST GEAR.. PULL THE TRANS AND CK THE CLUTCH FIRST..YOU NEED TO DO THIS ANYWAY IF THE TRANS IS BAD..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

QUESTION: THE TRUCK WILL NOT SHIFT AT ALL. IT BASICALLY STUCK IN FIRST GEAR. THE SHIFTER JUST GOES BACK AND FORTH, WEATHER ITS RUNNING OR NOT.

Answer
HI DAVE,WHEN THE SHIFTER MOVES BACK AND FORTH DOES IT FEEL NORMAL?? SO IF IT WILL MOVE IN FIRST GEAR THE TRANSMISSION IS AT FAULT. IF NO MOVEMENT I SUSPECT THE DISC....YOU SAY IT IS STUCK IN FIRST GEAR BUT THE SHIFTER WILL MOVE BACK AND FORTH ?? EITHER WAY THE TRANS NEEDS TO BE PULLED TO INSPECT THE PROBLEM..LET ME KNOW IF I DID NOT FULLY ANSWER THIS FOR YOU...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS