Chevrolet Repair/2002 Chevy Venture - intermittent starting problem

Question
Hello!  I have a 2002 Chevy Venture.  Several months ago it developed an intermittent starting problem.  After sitting for an extended period of time, engine cold, say sitting overnight, starts fine.  At operating temp, starts fine.  Somewhere in between, after driving it, the van won't start.  If I let it cool down, it will start.  I, and my wife, have has this happen several times, and have been stranded temporarily a few of those times! I have had two excellent mechanics look at it, as well as the Chevy dealer.  Noone has been able to repeat the non-start issue.  The dealer did identify a BCM code that was bad, I forget the number, ignition switch, but said it may not fix the problem if replaced as they could not repeat it to know for sure, so I balked at the replacement cost and held off.  The second mechanic now says there are no bad codes as he continues to try and repeat the starting problem.  Frustrated!

Answer
HI JAY, IF THIS WERE MINE I WOULD BE PUTTING A NEW CRANKSHAFT SENSOR IN THIS ENGINE..IF THIS DID NOT CURE THE PROBLEM, MY NEXT MOVE WOULD BE WAIT TILL IT WILL NOT START AND CK FOR SPARK AT THE SPARK PLUGS AND FUEL AT THE FUEL RAIL. YOU HAVE TO RULE ONE THING OUT. IF THERE IS FUEL AND SPARK THE NEXT MOVE IS TO CK FOR PULSE AT THE FUEL INJECTORS. NO PULSE = BAD PCM. I KNOW THIS IS NOT ALOT OF HELP TO YOU,,BUT THIS IS ONE THOSE CARS I WOULD NEED TO LOOK AT MYSELF TO DIAGNOSE..BUT CRANKSHAFT SENSORS WILL DO THIS WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARMED UP, IT IS VERY COMMON...NO CODE WILL SET FOR THIS AS WELL..A IGNITION SWITCH COULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BUT IT IS NOT VERY COMMON. .LET ME KNOW IF I CAN GIVE YOU ANY MORE ADVISE...GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,TOM....  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS