Chevrolet Repair/2005 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3400V6

Question
I bought a 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo LS with 75k miles on it. Occasionally the transaxle experiences hard shifts. This usually takes place after I've been driving for a while and the engine is hot. This is not always the case though. In addition at times the transaxle slips and rams into gear from a dead stop. I've had the car back to the dealer on two occasions. The first time the mechanic said it there were no codes set and he couldn't get the transaxle to have the issues I had been having. I took it back a second time after having taken my salesman for a ride when I was having the issue. Again the mechanic could find nothing wrong. But this time the dealer told him to do a complete flush out of the transmission fluid and refill with new. I just got the car back yesterday and although so far its been better I have had it slip once from a stop and I've had one hard shift. Is this something I have to live with that will not be an issue in the near future? Or is this a common problem that is going to require attention?

Thank you! Mikd

Answer
HI MIKE, IAM SURPRISED THAT YOU ARE HAVING THESE KINDS OF ISSUES WITH SO LITTLE MILES ON YOUR CAR..WAS IT EVER STUCK IN THE SNOW BY CHANCE ??? IF SO THE OIL MORE THEN LIKELY GOT VERY HOT AND BURNED IT. THIS WILL CAUSE THE CLUTCHES TO WEAR OUT AT A FASTER RATE THEN NORMAL..YOU ASKED IF THIS IS NORMAL,NO WAY,THIS PROBLEM WILL GET WORSE IN TIME. I AGREE WITH YOU TECH ABOUT FLUSHING THE SYSTEM AND REPLACING THE FILTER,WHICH I WILL ASSUME THEY DID..I WOULD ASK THEM IF THE OIL WAS VERY BURNED [DARK BROWN] AND WAS THERE ALOT OF CLUCTH FILINGS IN THE PAN. SOME PLACES JUST FLUSH THE TRANS OIL AND DO NOT DROP THE PAN TO REPLACE THE FILTER. FIND OUT WHAT THEY DID,IF IT WERE JUST A FLUSH AND NO FILTER REPLACEMENT I WOULD DO SO AND SEE HOW IT GOES. BUT IF THE OIL WAS VERY DIRTY AND IF THEY DID DROP THE PAN AND FOUND ALOT OF CLUTCH FILINGS IN THE PAN MORE THEN LIKELY YOU WILL  NEED TO REBUILD THE TRANSMISSION IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THIS WILL NOT IMPROVE IF THEY DID IN FACT CHANGE THE FILTER AS WELL AS A FLUSH. SO IF THEY [[DID NOT REPLACE THE FILTER]] TRY DOING SO AND SEE IF THIS IMPROVES THINGS..I HAVE SEEN SOME FILTERS SO DIRTY THAT THE FLUID CAN NOT FLOW THROUGH IT LIKE IT SHOULD WHICH CUTS THE PRESSURE DOWN RESULTING IN A SLIPPING CONDITION..I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS