Chevrolet Repair/2006 Chevy Equinox FWD Drive Axel noise

Question
When the noise presented itself I thought it was a rub of either the tire or the brake rotor since I've heard noises like this on other vehicles and that's what it was.  The noise sounded like it rubbed with each rotation of the tire.  The sound speeded up and slowed down as I did.  And there were times when there was no noise at all.  I would park somewhere, go out to leave and it would be there again.

Once up to highway speed it appeared to go away.

I jacked up the vehicle and pulled both front wheels. Tires are not rubbing.  Brake pads are good.  Pulled pads and rotors.  I started the vehicle and put it in drive.  I could hear the noise.  When I jammed the right front hub and stopped the axle, of course the left axle started turning, but the noise stopped.
When I released the passenger side hub, of course it started turning again and making the noise.

One person tells me there is a carrier bearing that goes bad.  Or a cv axle could be the issue.  Your opinion please.

Answer
HI JIM, JACK THE CAR UP AGAIN, HAVE SOMONE GET IN THE CAR,START IT UP, PUT IT IN GEAR AND GET IT GOING TILL YOU HEAR THE NOISE AND KEEP IT AT THIS SPEED AND ON THE SIDE THAT YOU,HEAR OR FEEL THE NOISE I WANT YOU TO FEEL THE COIL SPRING OF THE STRUT. IF YOU FEEL A GRATING OR GROWL,MORE THEN LIKELY THE WHEEL BEARING IS GOING BAD...ALSO DOES THIS HAVE A STRAIGHT DRIVE AXLES ON BOTH SIDES ?? IF SO THERE IS NO CARRIER BEARING..THIS COULD BE THE NOISE,,IF IT HAS A CARRIER BEARING MID WAY ON THE AXLE,,BUT I HAVE [NEVER][EVER] HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME..99% OF THE TIME IT IS THE WHEEL BEARING. VERY EASY TO REPLACE.THIS NOISE IS NOT FROM A CV AXLE..NO WAY...LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND.I WILL BE HERE, LET ME KNOW PLEASE..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,TOM.

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS