Chevrolet Repair/79 Corvette Power Steering

Question
I have a 79 Vette L-82 and the power steering is fine to the right side, but there seems to be little or no power assist to the left.  Any idea what this might be, and if it is something I could do easily or if not about what I should expect a shop to charge for the repair.  Thanks, Dennis

Answer
HI DENNIS, NICE CAR..THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR CAR IS MORE THEN LIKELY WITH THE POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE. THIS IS THE VALVE THAT RUNS ALONG THE CENTER LINK WITH THE SMALL LINES GOING TO IT.. THE STEERING GEAR BOX AND PUMP ARE NOT TO BLAME...THERE IS A PROCEDURE TO ADJUST THIS CONTROL VALVE IN THE GM MANUAL, OR YOU COULD GOOGLE IT UP. YOU HAVE A 50-50 SHOT OF ADJUSTING THIS..YOUR OTHER CHOICE IS TO REPLACE IT. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY THIS ON LINE FOR ABOUT $150.00 IT IS NOT HARD TO REPLACE IT,AND NO ADJUSTMENT NECESSARY..YOU WILL ALSO SEE A GREASE FITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS VALVE,GREASE THIS VERY SLOWLY AND NOT WITH A HIGH PRESSURE GREASE GUN..THIS WILL HARM THE SEAL.. I AM NOT AT WORK SO I DO NOT HAVE ANY WAY OF GETTING INTO OUR SHOPS COMPUTER SERVICE GUIDE TO LOOK THIS UP FOR YOU..IF YOU WERE TO TAKE IT TO A SHOP FOR THE VALVE AND LABOR A GUESS ABOUT $325.00 LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM....

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS