Chevrolet Repair/alternator witing

Question
I hope this is not too far off topic. I am replacing a generator on my tractor with a 60 amp 10S1 alternator. The alternator has an f and r and battery terminal. I have connected the r and battery terminals to the battery. The f terminal through the ignition switch to the battery.
The field(stator) seems to get too hot. It gets too hot to touch.I don't have an ammeter but I am sure the battery is being charged.
Should the field wire voltage be reduced through a resistor or do you think this is normal?
Thanks for any advise.
Jack

Answer
HI JACK, THIS SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE ALTERNATOR IS FULL FIELDING..DID YOU CHANGE YOUR BATTERY FROM 6 VOLTS TO 12 ???? IF NOT THE ALT WILL NEVER COME UP TO CHARGE THIS WHICH WILL FULL FIELD ITSELF.. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE A VOLT METER ON THE BATTERY TO SEE WHAT KIND OF VOLTAGE YOU HAVE GOING TO IT DONT CARE ABOUT AMPS AT THIS POINT. ANYTHING OVER 14.5 VOLTS IS TO HIGH..YOU MAY BE PUTTING OUT 16  PLUS VOLTS...BUT WITH THAT SAID IF YOU ONLY USE THIS FOR 1 OR 2 HRS A WEEK,NO BIG DEAL..AS FAR IS THE PART # THIS ALTERNATOR HAS A INTERNAL REGULATOR ..THE WIRING SOUNDS LIKE IT IS CONNECTED CORRECT. YOU WILL NEED A OLD CHRYSLER RESISTOR[2 PRONG NOT FOUR]FOR THE POINTS,, POSITIVE SIDE OF COIL SO AS NOT TO BURN THEM OUT..LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES GOOD LUCK,,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS