Chevrolet Repair/Brake question.

Question
Hi Tom,

Got a 2003 S10 pickup.4wd 4.3L 4 wheel disc brakes.
The drivers side front brake pads were worn uneven/tapered.Outer pad,thick on one side,thin/worn on the other,inboard pad,same except in reverse, of front.....I replaced the front calipers,drivers side caliper bracket,all new hardware,new mounting pins,lubed slides.....
When i took off the brake hose on the drivers side,no fluid came out of the hose at all,maybe a drip but the caliper did have fluid in it,and i will mention,the brakes stopped fine,firm pedal.
The front rotors can be turned by hand with tires off but they seem tight.with tires on,they turn by hand better.

They bled well tho....after bleeding took for a test drive and
Noted the brakes seemed a Be spongy,stopped ok....after driving around and making several stops,the sponginess went away

My concern is,do i need to replace those front brake hoses?

Gotta think that maybe why they seem to turn stiffer...
They brakes stop fine,no smoke ,wheels dont get hot...doesnt appear to be dragging ,no pull.....
Just wondering why no fluid came outta that hose...passenger side,fluid came out like it should....

i had a dodge van do this once before but that one ,the wheel would lock up...replacing the hoses cured that...

Im thinking about tossing the old hoses and putting new ones on,just want another opinion.

Thanks

Joe

Answer
GOOD MORN JOE, WELL THIS SOUNDS TO ME AS IF THE BRAKE HOES IS START TO COLLAPSE..IF YOU LEAVE IT ON YOUR TRUCK MORE THEN LIKELY YOU WILL START TO NOTICE A PULLING PROBLEM AND THE BRAKE WOULD BECOME HOT AS WELL. TO BE SAFE I WOULD JUST REPLACE IT. YOU ARE CORRECT IN YOUR THINKING THE FLUID SHOULD DRIP OUT OF THE HOSE.SOMETHING LIKE A STEADY DRIP.. ALSO WHEN THIS GETS HOT AFTER DRIVING A WHILE THIS MAY START TO HANG UP..MAYBE NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU TO FEEL A PULL AT THIS POINT...AS FAR AS WHY THE PADS WERE WEARING UNEVEN IS BECAUSE THE CALIPER SLIDES WERE LOCKING UP..PROBABLY YOU ONLY NEEDED TO REPLACE THE PADS FREE UP THE CALIPER SLDIES AND BUSHING AND LUBRICATED THEM AND THAT WOULD OF TAKING CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM,BUT THEN YOU WOULD NOT OF FOUND OUT ABOUT THE BRAKE HOSE STARTING TO GO BAD....HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS