Chevrolet Repair/Chevy Blazer

Question
I have a 1995 chevy blazer that is having some backfiring issues. It starts out running fine after you turn it over but after about 10 seconds it backfires once then twice and then it starts sounding like an automatic rifle shooting. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Answer
HI FRANK,,WELL 90 % OF BACK FIRE ISSUES ARE USUALLY CAUSED BY BAD IGNITION COMPONENTS. SUCH AS CRACKED DIST-CAP,CROSSED SPARK PLUG WIRES..I WOULD REMOVE THE DIST-CAP AND LOOK AT THE TOWERS ON THE UNDERSIDE TO SEE IF THEY ARE CRACKED OR ANY CROSSFIRE BETWEEN THE TOWERS..IF THE IGN SYSTEM LOOKS GOOD THE NEXT IS A INTERNAL PROBLEM SUCH AS VALVES NOT OPENING ALL THE WAY. HOWEVER IF THE BACK-FIRE IS ONLY IN THE EXHAUST I WOULD THINK IT IS IN THE IGN SYSTEM..BACFIRE UP THROUGH THE INTAKE IS VALVES NOT OPENING AS THEY SHOULD. POSS CAUSES ARE BENT PUSHRODS, BAD CAM SHAFT,COLLAPSED LIFTERS...TAKE THE AIR CLEANER DUCT WORK OFF AND GIVE IT SOME GAS LIKE THIS,IF THE BACK FIRE IS UP THROUGH THE THROTTLE BODY I THINK YOU HAVE GOT SOME VALVES THAT ARE NOT OPENING.. THIS WILL CAUSE A POP POP POP POP SOUND,ESPECIALLY UNDER LOAD..LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS