Chevrolet Repair/gear shift lever on 1999 Chevy Lumina

Question
Today while parking my car the gear shift lever came out of the console. There was a short black pin that fell out & the lever completely disengaged. We were able to put the lever & pin back in place & it is shifting well. How can I tell if something broke off the lever & if the pin will stay in place.

Answer
HI ANNE, YOU SAY THIS IS IN YOUR CONSOLE [FLOOR SHIFT] NOT COLUMN. OK I AM GOING WITH THE FLOOR SHIFTER..IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE PIN BROKE OR ELSE THE HOLE THAT THE PINS GOES IN IS BECOMING LOOSE NOT HOLDING THE PIN TIGHT..WHEN YOU PUT THE PIN INTO THE SHIFTER DID IT GO IN TIGHT OR LOOSE..USUALLY YOU NEED A PUNCH OR DRIFT PIN PUNCH TO PUSH THIS PIN INTO THE SHIFTER..DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT ?? IF NOT I WOULD SUSPECT IT WILL NOT HOLD FOR A LONG TIME UNLESS YOU KEEP A EYE ON IT OR IS IS POSSIBLE TO PUT A SMALL HOSE CLAMP AROUND THE SHIFTER WHERE THE PIN GOES TO HOLD THE PIN IN PLACE.. DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT IS HANDY THAT MIGHT BEABLE TO MAKE YOU UP A NEW ROLL PIN OR SOMETHING LIKE THE OLD PIN BUT JUST A BIT LARGER..YOUR SECOND CHOICE WOULD BE TO SEE IF YOU CAN LOCATE A USED ASSEMBLY AT THE BONE YARD [JUNK YARD- SORRY.]LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS