Chevrolet Repair/1991 s-10

Question
I have a 91' S-10 and I was driving down the road and it felt like i was running out of fuel. i pulled into the gas station and filled. started the engine and it continued to run the same way. as i was trying to accelerate i found that when the throttle was depressed that the engine would cut out and when i would let up off of the throttle the engine would speed up almost like it is working backwards. If i unplug the map sensor vacuum hose the engine will run for a little bit and die. If i keep the engine idle up then it will keep running. there is also a bad smell of fuel when the engine is running. any input would be greatly appreciated. i am mechanically inclined but work on diesel engines and have never dug into the vacuum system on a gas engine before.

Answer
GOOD DAY CURTIS,THE WAY YOU ARE DESCRIBING THIS, IT IS A FUEL STARVATION PROBLEM. LET OFF THE THROTTLE THE ENG PICKS UP !! YOU SAY YOU SMELL FUEL !!!I WOULD BE LOOKING INTO WHERE THE FUEL LEAK IS AND REPAIR THIS. ONCE YOU START TO LOOSE PRESSURE THIS WILL ACT LIKE IT IS..WHEN YOU PULL THE MAP SENSOR OFF IT WILL ONLY RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS OR MAYBE LONGER AND DIE ,,BUT THIS IS NORMAL. THIS HAS THE CLASSIC SYMPTOMS OF LOW FUEL PRESSURE..REPAIR THE LEAK AND THIS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU...IF NOT YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER AND THEN CK FUEL PRESSURE. IF LOW, TIME FOR A NEW PUMP..PRESSURE SHOULD BE AROUND 35 TO 40 LBS AT IDLE..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES FOR YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,, TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS