Chevrolet Repair/1998 camaro engine

Question
Hi Tom this is Sean again. My mom has a 1998 Chevy Camaro Z28. Unfortunately the motor went one of the valve lifters were tapping. We said forget replacing it we will just drive it until it goes. So that's what happened. So now we are looking at motors. We have been told LS1 motors are no longer made they are all remanufactured but have a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on it which is not bad and it is a jasper motor which I like anyways. So we have also been told you can put an LS2 motor in. I know the motor mounts would have to be changed and I would say the computer would have to be reprogrammed most likely. This car is automatic. What else would have to be done for an LS2 motor to be installed and is it really safe. Thanks.

Answer
HI SEAN,LONG TIME NO HEAR FROM !!!! IF THIS WERE MINE I WOULD PUT THE L-S1 ENGINE IN AND GET IT OVER WITH. THE LS-2 ENG WOULD FIT NO PROBLEM BUT I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD NEED TO REPLACE THE PCM AND OF COURSE HAVE IT FLASHED. YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO REPLACE MANY SENSORS AS WELL AND POSSIBLE WIRING HARNESS.. I AM NOT 100 % SURE ON THE HARNESS...BUT WHY DO IT ?? YOU ARE NOT GETTING SOMETHING MUCH BETTER. JUST NEWER DESIGN. THE LS1 IS A GOOD ENGINE AND DESIGN AS LONG AS YOU TAKE CARE OF IT...A JASPER ENG IS GOOD WITH A GOOD WARRANTY..HAVE YOU CHECKED GM REBUILD ENGINES FROM THE FACTORY...SOMETIMES THERE PRICES ARE REAL GOOD AND COME WITH A GOOD WARRANTY AS WELL..WORTH LOOKING INTO FOR SURE IF YOU HAVE NOT.YES THEY ARE REBUILT NOT NEW.. CALL YOUR CHEVY STORE. LS-2 ENG IS GOOD AND VERY RELIABLE. ALSO YOUR CHEVY DEALER WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU WOULD NEED TO REPLACE IF YOU WENT TO THE LS-2 ENG, AS FAR AS PCM AND HARNESS AND SENSORS GOES..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS