Chevrolet Repair/2005 Chev Optra code P2279 Air Intake leak

Question
Tom,

Can you please advise what the remedy would be to resolve this issue.

In Ontario you cannot renew your tag or transfer it unless these issues are resolved.

The car passed its safety with the advent of a complete brake job front and back and the O2 sensor was replaced.

However, while I have had the code provided at a cost of $ 80 they want an additional $ 165 to tell me what the code is without telling me what the part or repair is.

Our system here is creating a unmanageable issue. The repair garages are holding people hostage over these repairs.

Can you help or provide insight on what the Code is most likely caused from on this Chev product?

Answer
GOOD DAY DOUG. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM IN NY STATE...AS THE SONG GOES. I LOVE NY !!! THE CODE SAYS IT ALL,THE PCM [COMPUTER] IS DETECTING A LEAN CONDITION AND WHEN IT GETS THIS LEAN AND CAN NOT BRING THE FUEL TRIMS INTO FACTORY SPECS, IT WILL SET THIS CODE.. I WOULD CK ALL THE VACUUM LINES GOING AROUND THE ENGINE AREA,THROTTLE BODY AND MAKE SURE ALL THE VACUUM LINES ARE ON AND NOT BROKEN OR SPLIT CAUSING A VACUUM LEAK. IF ALL THE LINES LOOK OK GET YOURSELF SOME CARBURETOR CLEANER AND START THE ENGINE AND SPRAY AROUND THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AREA WHERE IT MOUNTS TO THE HEAD AND ALL AROUND THE THROTTLE BODY AND SEE IF THE ENG CHANGES ITS RPM. IF SO THERE IS A LEAK WHERE YOU SPRAYED. ONCE THE CARB CLEANER FINDS A LEAK THE RPM WILL CHANGE RIGHT AWAY.. IF YOU FIND SOMETHING LIKE THIS REPAIR IT AND CLEAR THE CODES. TO DO SO WITHOUT A SCAN TOOL, JUST REMOVE  A BATTERY CABLE FOR 30 MINUTES ALL CODES WILL BE CLEARED LIGHT WILL BE OFF AND PCM WILL BE RESET. [SAVE YOUR SELF SOME MONEY ON A RESCAN JOB] DRIVE IT AND IF THE LIGHT DOES NOT RETURN IN 50 MILES OR SO THE MONITORS IN THE PCM SHOULD BE SET TO READY AND YOUR CAR SHOULD NOW PASS ITS STATE INSP AS LONG AS THE CK ENG LIGHT DOES NOT COME BACK ON..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM
PS THANKS DOUG,JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING ELSE AS WELL, CK AROUND ALL THE DUCT WORK LEADING TO THE THROTTLE BODY SUCH AS POSSIBLE SPLIT RUBBER DUCT WORK BEFORE GETTING TO THE THROTTLE BODY. LIKE AFTER THE AIR CLEANER AREA AS WELL..LET ME NOW HOW THIS GOES FOR YOU...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS