Chevrolet Repair/88 c1500 305 tbi rough idle and no power

Question
QUESTION: My 88 c1500 305 80k miles, had a idle that missed/surged. It wasn't that bad but aggravating. It hesitated when accelerated in gear, but wound out ok. I replaced, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, egr valve--it had a slight leak). Nothing helped. It even got worse with the new egr. I sprayed ether around the tbi and noted a small leak. I replaced the tbi gasket and while I was in there replaced the regulator diaphram, injector o-rings etc. Now it's even worse. Dies at idle sometimes. No power in gear but winds up decent in neutral. I pulled wires one at a time and could not find one that didn't kill the engine at idle. It doesn't have a fuel pressure test valve. I have ordered an adapter. Any other suggestions??

ANSWER: HI OLDMAN BILL,,OK WHAT YOU HAVE NOT TOLD ME IS HAVE YOU CHECKED THE TIMING ??? NO POWER COULD BE FROM THE TIMING BEING OFF OR LOW FUEL PRESSURE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LIGHT TRY TO ADVANCE IT A LITTLE TURN THE DIST COUNTER CLOCKWISE ABOUT 1/4 INCH>>> RPM SHOULD INCREASE. LOCK IT DOWN AND DRIVE IT LIKE THIS..IF ENG KNOCKS YOU WENT TO FAR THIS IS GOING TO BE A DUMB QUESTION BUT IS THE AIR FILTER GOOD AND CLEAN ??? HAD TO ASK..SORRY..THE NEXT MOVE IF THE ABOVE IS OK AND FUEL PRESS IS GOOD, YOU WILL NEED TO GET THIS SCANNED AT A SHOP THAT HAS GOOD GM SOFTWARE..A BAD O2 SENSOR COULD BE TRYING TO LEAN THIS ENG OUT WAY TO MUCH,OR POSS BAD MAP SENSOR..YOU COULD UNPLUG THE MAP SENSOR AND SEE IF THIS HELPS THE RUNNING PROBLEM AT ALL,IF SO THE MAP SENSOR COULD BE BAD..
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT..GOOD LUCK,,,TOM

QUESTION: I failed to mention that I replace the EGR at your suggestion on my first thread. Wasted $60 thanks. Yes, I'm not an idiot, the air filter is new.
I installed the fuel pressure test port. Fuel pressure was 3lb. Pulled the tank, replaced the pump, problem solved.

Answer
HI OLDMANBILL,I NEVER ONCE TOLD YOU TO REPLACE THE EGR VALVE... I SAID IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS COULD BE THE PROBLEM IF THE VALVE IS STICKY. YOU WROTE BACK TO ME AND TOLD ME IS WAS FOR SURE BAD....REMEMBER ???? I TELL PEOPLE TO REMOVE IT OR REMOVE THE VACUUM TO IT AND SEE IF THE VALVE STICKS LIKE THIS,, BEFORE YOU WASTE YOUR MONEY...YOU COULD OF REMOVED THE VALVE FROM THE ENG AND BLOCKED IT OFF WITH A PIECE OF METAL...I ALSO TOLD YOU ABOUT LOW FUEL PRESSURE..WHICH I WAS CORRECT ON..I NEVER THOUGHT YOU WERE A IDIOT.. BUT SOMETIMES PEOPLE OVER LOOK THINGS,SUCH AS AIR FILTERS. A BLOCKED AIR FILTER WILL HAVE ALMOST THE SAME EFFECT AS LOW FUEL PRESSURE..DON'T FORGET I AM HERE ON MY KEYBOARD NOT THERE IN PERSON !!!!I NEVER TOLD YOU TO REPLACE THE EGR VALVE..PERIOD...SO THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY TO HELP PEOPLE !!!THANKS ALOT..TOM  

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS