Chevrolet Repair/abnormal noise

Question
QUESTION: When I start to reverse out of the driveway, I hear a popping noise from underneath the vehicle. Sometimes, I hear that same noise when I come to a stop while decelerating on the road. What could this noise be?

ANSWER: HI CHRISTOPHER, THIS DOES NOT GIVE ME A LOT TO GO ON. WHAT KIND OF CAR IS IT ?? DOES IT SOUND LIKE IT IS FROM THE WHEELS OR TRANSMISSION AREA ??? WHEN THIS NOISE HAPPENS PUT YOUR BRAKES ON LIGHTLY AND SEE IF THE NOISE STOPS OR CHANGES. IF SO I WOULD GET THE BRAKES LOOKED AT. ARE YOUR WHEELS TURNED WHEN YOU HEAR THIS NOISE ??? IF SO COULD BE A BAD CV JOINT IN THE FRONT AXLE. CAN YOU FEEL THIS POPPING IN THE STEERING,IF SO CK THE BALL JOINTS,AND OTHER SUSPENSION PARTS. LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN GET SOME MORE INFO...TOM..

QUESTION: It is a 1999 Chevrolet blazer and the popping or thumping sound occurs when I put it in reverse and start to back out. Could it be the brakes? I don't feel it in the steering and am not sure I feel it on the brakes or not. What should I do?

Answer
HI CHRISTOPHER, WELL WHEN THIS STARTS TO MAKE THIS POPPING SOUND HAVE YOU TRIED TO APPLY THE BRAKES AS I SAID ABOVE. IF SO DOES THE NOISE OR POPPING SOUND CHANGE..IF IT DOES THEN I WOULD THINK IT IS IN THE BRAKES FOR SURE..THE OTHER THING I WOULD CK JUST TO BE SURE IS YOUR WHEEL LUG NUTS. SOMETIMES IF THEY BECOME LOOSE THE WHEEL WILL ROCK ON THE WHEEL HUB CAUSING A THUMPING SOUND....BAD  DRIVE SHAFT U-JOINTS WOULD HAVE CLICKING SOUND.CLICK CLICK CLICK..HAVE YOU LOOKED UNDER YOUR TRUCK TO SEE IF ANYTHING IS FALLING DOWN LIKE THE EXHAUST PIPE MAYBE HITTING ON SOMETHING,LIKE THE REAR TIRE.. WHAT I WOULD DO IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES,GET A FRIEND HAVE HIM STAND NEXT TO YOUR TRUCK AS YOU BACK UP. SEE IF HE CAN PINPOINT THIS NOISE AND THEN GET BACK TO ME..BUT HIT THE BRAKE PEDAL LIGHTLY WHEN THIS NOISE IS THERE AND SEE IF IT CHANGES...GOOD LUCK  AND GET BACK TO ME,,,TOM..

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS