Chevrolet Repair/2005 Chevy Silverado Truck 5.3L Engine

Question
I purchased this vehicle in 2006.  I've never had brake problems before.  On Friday, 8/2/13, I drove to the hardware store, approximately 3-5 miles.  I was in the store approximately 10 minutes, came out, backed out of parking space and pulled out.  When I pulled forward, the brakes locked up.  The brake pedal was all the way to the top and was so tight I could not press down.  Made it home, brakes smoking all the way, and let cool.  Now brakes are loose, but have not driven vehicle since Friday.  What could be the problem?

Answer
HI NELSON,,WELL IF ALL OF THE BRAKES WERE LOCKED UP AND IT SURE DOES SOUND THAT WAY BECAUSE THE PEDAL WAS SO HARD AT THE TOP I THINK THE MASTER CYLINDER PUSH ROD STUCK INTERNALLY..3 TO 5 MILES WOULD REALLY NOT BE ENOUGH TIME TO GET THE BRAKES WARMED UP TO CAUSE SAY SOMETHING LIKE A STICKY BRAKE CALIPER HANGING UP..IF THIS WERE MINE, I WOULD GET A SOCKET WRENCH FOR THE CORRECT SIZE NUTS TO THE MASTER CYLINDER... I WOULD DRIVE IT AGAIN AND IF THIS HAPPENS I WOULD LOOSEN THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER FROM THE BOOSTER AND PULL THE MASTER CYLINDER OUT ABOUT 1/2 INCH AND SEE IF THIS RELEASES THE BRAKES. IF SO THE MASTER IS STICKING. IF THIS IS NOT IT I SUSPECT THE ABS MODULE MAYBE BAD HOLDING THE BRAKES ON. BUT VERY RARE......LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..
PS just thought of something,you could try to tap the base of the master cylinder with a small hammer and see if this releases the brake if and when it locks up..if the master cylinder is the cause this should release the brakes..good luck,,,TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS