Chevrolet Repair/Caprice -Fuel/Electrical Issue?

Question
1994 Chevy Caprice Classic LS
4.3 V8

This problem has happened before but this time resulted in not starting for several days so i gave in and started troubleshooting.

No symptoms leading up to this issue.
Fuel gauge read past full but no start. (Before I could wait a day or even disconnect the ground from the battery and the car would start)
Sometimes the gauge would go normal but as soon as I cranked it over, back to full and not start. No hum from the pump.
Changed pump
changed filter
checked FPR
checked MAP

It drove up the road great, pulled back in and again, guage past full and it died. It didn't start right back up right away, but after a few minutes it did.
I figure its electrical but not sure where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction or something.....anything......?

Answer
GOOD DAY RACHEL, WELL I WILL TRY MY BEST TO HELP YOU OUT HERE,FIRST THINGS FIRST..LETS NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT THE FUEL GAUGE IS DOING..THIS MAY HAVE A BAD SENDING UNIT OR GAUGE FAULT..
LETS FIND OUT WHAT THIS ENG DOES NOT HAVE WHEN IT WILL NOT START AND THEN WE CAN ATTACK THAT.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO WHEN THIS WILL NOT START IS CK FOR FUEL OR SPARK AT THE PLUGS. HAVE SOMBODY CRANK THIS OVER WHILE YOU REMOVE A PLUG WIRE AND INSERT A SCREW DRIVER IN THE PLUG END AND HOLD THAT SCREW DRIVER ABOUT 1/4 INCH FROM A METAL OBJECT,, THERE SHOULD BE SPARK THERE ON OFF ON OFF. YOU COULD CK THIS WHEN THE ENG DOES RUN SO YOU WILL KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN IT WILL NOT START...DONT HOLD ON TO THE SCREW DRIVER WHILE IT IS CRANKING YOU MY GET SHOCKED.. WONT KILL YOU HOWEVER, WONT FEEL GOOD..SO IF THERE IS SPARK THERE AND CAR STILL WILL NOT RUN CK FOR FUEL. A EASY TEST IS GET YOURSELF A CAN OF STARTING FLUID AND SPRAY IT INTO THE INTAKE,IF IT RUNS LIKE THIS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A FUEL PROBLEM.[JUST AS A TEST].SO BECAUSE YOU HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP YOU WILL NEED TO CK FOR POWER ON THE GREY WIRE GOING INTO TO FUEL PUMP [SENDING UNIT AT THE HARNESS,SHOULD HAVE 12 VOLTS WHILE THE ENG IS CRANKING OVER[WILL HAVE POWER AFTER TURNING THE KEY OFF AS WELL FOR 3 SECONDS] AND ALSO CK FOR GROUND [BLACK WIRE]I SUSPECT YOU WILL NOT HAVE POWER HERE.IF THIS IS THE CASE YOU HAVE A WIRING PROBLEM TO THE PUMP..CK AT THE FUSE BOX FOR THE PUMP RELAY. REMOVE IT AND JUMP THE POWER LEAD AND FUEL PUMP LEAD TOGETHER THIS WILL POWER UP THE PUMP LEAD..NOW TRACE THE WIRE TO THE PUMP AND YOU WILL MORE THEN LIKELY FIND A BREAK IN THE HARNESS SOMEWHERE..IF YOU JUMP IT AND NOW YOU HAVE POWER TO THE GREY WIRE AT THE PUMP HARNESS PLUG IN BACK YOU KNOW THAT WIRE IS GOOD..
SO IF THIS IS THE CASE YOU MAY HAVE PROBLEMS FROM THE IGN SWITCH TO THE FUEL PUMP RELAY NOT SUPPLYING POWER TO THE RELAY..THIS SHOULD KEEP YOU BUSY FOR A WHILE..LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS