Chevrolet Repair/transmission problems

Question
QUESTION: I have 87 chevy R10 custom deluxe. Changed motor and got rid of TBI and ECM. It won't shift to 2nd until 45. Only speed cable and one wire on drivers side and vacuum on passenger side.

ANSWER: HI KEN,,SO THIS TRANSMISSION IS NOT CONTROLLED BY A PCM CORRECT ??? IF THIS IS CORRECT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A BAD GOVERNOR OR MODULATOR VALVE..REMOVE THE GOV COVER [ROUND] ON THE PASS SIDE OF TRANS TOWARDS THE REAR OF THE TRANS,,HELD ON BY A CLIP,REMOVE THE COVER WITH A SCREW DRIVER AND YOU MAY NEED A HAMMER TO DO SO. ONCE OFF PULL THE GEAR OUT AND LOOK AT THE TEETH ON THIS GEAR. IF THE MIDDLE OF THE GEAR IS WORN CONCAVE IT IS BAD...REPLACE IT AND THE TRANS SHOULD SHIFT GOOD AGAIN. IF THIS IS NOT IT CK FOR VACUUM DOWN AT THE MODULATOR VALVE,IF VACUUM IS PRESENT REPLACE THIS VALVE. IF NO VACUUM FIND OUT WHY THERE IS NO VACUUM HERE, LOOK ON THE BACK OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD FOR THE LINE GOING DOWN TO THIS VALVE..THIS MUST HAVE VACUUM TO IT..[[[[[[[[[BUT BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THE ABOVE]]]]]] CK TO MAKE SURE THE KICK DOWN LINKAGE IS NOT STUCK OPEN,CK AT THE THROTTLE LINKAGE FIRST, IF THIS LOOKS OK REMOVE THE KICK DOWN CABLE FROM THE LINKAGE AND TRY TO PULL IT ONE WAY AND IT SHOULD PULL BACK ON ITS OWN,[CLOSED POSITION],SPRING LOADED. IF IT IS NOT SPRING LOADED EITHER IT IS OFF INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION OR THE CABLE IS BROKEN. FIX THIS FIRST..LET ME KNOW HOW THIS WORKS OUT FOR YOU,,GOOD LUCK,,TOM.

QUESTION: It only has one cable to the carb. That's what has me baffled. There's no cable to the transmission. Sorry I didn't mention that. I'll check the governor after work tonight

Answer
HI KEN,CK THE OTHER PROBLEMS AS WELL. BUT THIS MAY HAVE A ELECTRICAL KICK DOWN THAT CADDYS HAD BACK IN THE DAY.RARE..SO THERE IS NO CABLE COMING UP OUT OF THE PASS SIDE OF TRANS BY THE TOP CORNER. MAYBE THERE SHOULD BE AND SOMEONE BLOCKED IT OFF OR BROKE IT OFF AT THE CASE. ????if this info does not help you i will need to know the year and what kind of transmisison this is.. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND..TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS