Chevrolet Repair/A/C raising temp. indicator to red zone

Question
Hi there Tom.

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier.  In the summer, my A/C would function typically fine if I was travelling at a constant speed.

However, in the stop/go of the highway where I'd be on for at least 30 minutes, the AC (I could feel) would not even be working fine.  I'd feel it cutting in and out every minute or so.  Also, during this time, the TEMPERATURE indicator would rise to very hot red levels (120 degrees area), which would then trigger the Gauges light to come on.

Since I noticed this happening, I stopped using AC in this kind of situation.  Is there a reason this would happen?  Do you think it's something where the FAN that cools the engine or the antifreeze fluid isn't properly kicking in?  As soon as the road clears up and I travel at a stead speed (40km/hour or faster) the wind pretty much cools the temperature readings back to normal.

Anyways, thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!

Answer
HI HRIRE, THIS TO ME SOUNDS LIKE THE COOLING FANS ARE NOT COMING ON...CK IT, WHEN YOU TURN THE A/C ON SEE IF THE COOLING FANS COME ON...WHEN THE A/C IS ON THE FAN SHOULD COME ON RIGHT AWAY...IF NOT,CK THE FAN CIRCUIT,CK FUSES AND RELAY IN THE UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX..MAKE SURE COOLANT IS FULL..IF THIS ENG DOES NOT OVER HEAT WHEN THE A/C IS NOT ON MORE THEN LIKELY THE FAN IS THE PROBLEM...ALSO IF THE FANS DO NOT TURN ON THE A/C WILL NOT BE COLD BECAUSE THE CONDENSOR IS OVERHEATING WHICH EFFECTS THE A/C SYSTEM..THE CONDENSOR IS IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR AND NEEDS TO BE COOLED WHEN THE A/C IS ON...THIS IS WHY WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AT A STEADY SPEED IT IS OK..CK IT OUT AND LET ME KNOW....GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,TOM...

HI AGAIN,,, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RATINGS, YES I KNEW WHAT YOU WERE TALKNG ABOUT THE FANS. JUST MAKE SURE THE COOLING FANS DO COME ON EVEN IF THE A/C IS NOT TURNED ON, BECAUSE THIS WILL ALSO COOL THE RADIATOR OFF IF YOU ARE EVER STUCK IN A TRAFFIC JAM. THEY WILL NOT STAY ON ALL THE TIME [UNLESS THE A/C IS ON] BUT JUST WHEN THE ENG GETS WARM ENOUGH TO TURN THEM ON..JUST A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE SURE THEY DO WORK..DO NOT WANT YOU OVERHEATING YOUR ENGINE..I WILL ALSO KEEP YOU IN MIND IF MY COMPUTER EVER HAS MELT DOWN..THANKS AGAIN,,,,TOM....

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS