Chevrolet Repair/chevy 2500 truck

Question
Hi Tom
 I have a 1998 chevy truck 2500 4x4 (4x4 shifter on the floor)
the 4 wheel drive works fine but the light does not come on (that showes it is in 4 wheel drive) .The light is fine and there is no power there to light it.

Answer
HI HARRY, FROM ROCHESTER NY GRADUATE FROM EDISON TECH HIGH SCHOOL.. MORE THEN LIKELY THE SWITCH THAT ACTIVTES THIS LIGHT IS BAD. [90% OF THE TIME THIS IS THE PROBLEM] THIS WILL BE BY THE SHIFTER ROD ITSELF EITHER INSIDE THE TRUCK BY THE FLOOR OR BY THE SHIFTER ROD ON THE TRANSFER CASE UNDER THE TRUCK....LOOK DOWN UNDER THE TRUCK FIRST, THIS IS WHERE MOST OF THEM ARE.. HAVE SOMEONE SHIFT THIS INTO 4WD WHILE YOU WATCH FOR THE SHIFT ROD AND WHERE IT STOPS IN 4WD THERE SHOULD BE A PLUNGER SWITCH WITH 2 WIRES GOING TO IT.[THE SHIFT ROD WILL HIT THIS SWITCH TO ACTIVATE IT] ONE OF THE WIRES SHOULD HAVE 12 VOLTS TO IT. IF SO, JUMP THESE WIRES AND IF THE LIGHT ON THE DASH LIGHTS UP THE SWITCH IS BAD. IF NOT FOLLOW THOSE WIRES TILL YOU FIND A BREAK IN THEM.ONE OF THESE WIRES ARE DAMAGED....LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM....

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS