Chevrolet Repair/alternator

Question
QUESTION: My alternator caught on fire the other day..im now having replaced ..what other items should I be concern about this damage

ANSWER: HI EVA,,JUST MAKE SURE THE WIRING GOING TO THE ALTERNATOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE..[HARNESS TO IT AND ANY OTHER HARNESS THAT MAY OF GOT HOT ENOUGH TO BURN.]IF THIS WAS CAUGHT IN TIME THERE SHOULD NOT BE A LOT OF DAMAGE..I AM SURE YOUR MECHANIC WILL CK THE WIRING VERY CAREFULLY. MAKE SURE ALL  VACUUM LINES AND TUBES LOOK TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE AS WELL AS THE DRIVE BELT AND HOSES AROUND THE AREA OF THE ALTERNATOR..OTHER THEN THAT I THINK THAT SHOULD DO IT..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM..

QUESTION: Thank you Tom for your answer ...now im not sure on how to connect the wiring to the alternator ......do you know where I could find a wiring diagram for the alternator? its for a 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 engine 350 this is really holding me up.

Answer
HI EVA,,WELL THE BIG RED WIRE WILL GO TO THE MAIN POST ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE ALT.[HELD ON BY A SINGLE NUT. THIS IS BATTERY VOLTAGE. THIS WILL BE HOT ALL THE TIME. SO BE CAREFULL NOT TO GROUND THIS. IF IT IS BURNED GET YOURSELF A NEW CONNECTOR AT A PART STORE OR CHEVY STORE..YOU WILL NEED TO GO TO YOUR LOCAL CHEVY STORE OR LOCAL BONE YARD AND CUT THE PLUG IN WIRING HARNESS TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE ALTERNATOR..YOURS MAY HAVE 1 OR 2 WIRES GOING TO IT..JUST WIRE IT UP WITH THE CORRECT COLOR WIRE OR WIRES AND PLUG IT IN TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE ALTERNATOR. BEFORE YOU MEND THE WIRES TO TOGETHER YOU ALSO WANT TO GET SOME-SHRINK TUBING TO PUT OVER THE MENDED WIRES..THIS WILL KEEP THEM CLEAN AND FREE OF MOISTURE.NOT ELECTRICAL TAPE...YOU CAN GET THIS SHRINK TUBING AT ANY PART STORE OR YOUR LOCAL CHEVY STORE..YOU WILL NEED A HEAT GUN TO MELT THE SHRINK TUBING AROUND THE WIRE CONNECTIONS THAT YOU MADE,OR A LIGHTER WILL WORK,JUST DO NOT GET IT TO HOT. WHERE EVER YOU GET THIS THEY WILL SHOW YOU HOW IT WORKS..IT IS VERY EASY TO USE...HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU...TOM

Chevrolet Repair

TOM SHEETS