Chevrolet Repair/Emergency Brake Light

I have a 2002 GMC Serria 1500 4.3L V6 5 speed, that the emergency brake light will not come on when brake is engaged. The light will come on when I first turn the key in the ignition so its not the bulb. Where else to I check?

The light automatically comes on for a couple of seconds and goes off and is normal with the key cycling. I would check the contact switch at the parking brake assy.There should be a wire connector at the assembly.Backprobe connector for power at one of the wires.The other wire should either have voltage or not with the application of the parking brake and should change relative to if brake is on or not. If it does not, check to see if position of switch needs to be adjusted so switch's plunger is in proper contact with brake arm assy.If plunger is being plunged on electrical switch and no change in voltage present at backprobe.You have a bad switch. If no power to the connecter at parking brake  switch, check the fuses and wiring from fuse to switch.  

Chevrolet Repair

Daniel Ostrowski

Any questions pertaining to Alignment, brakes, emissions systems, major engine repair foreign and domestic, performance and the not so common questions such as the chemistry related to emissions, What scavenging is, piston offset, purpose of harmonic balancer etc.

troubleshooting mechanicle failures. Differential repair, electrical systems, disc and drum brakes {all}.Major repair all aspects of a vehicle except paint and upholstery.

Protech 4 way [thrust angle alignment]certificate.bear smog license program certificate. Protech brake certificate.