Chevrolet Repair/Clutch going out?

I have a 1995 Saturn SL4.   Lately, with anything more than light pressure on the gas pedal, the RPM needle will surge but the car won't accelerate.  This can happen in any gear but it's most common in 4th and 5th.   Sometimes when it happens, the shift prompt light on the dash will come on (even in 5th gear).

Does this sound like a failing clutch, or some other problem?

Hi Brian,
When you say the car won't accelerate, do you mean the engine revs but the vehicle just don't go faster? How many miles are on the vehicle and has it ever had a clutch assy installed? Let me know! Also please check your fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
Let me know and thanks for the question.

Chevrolet Repair

Jeff Brinkley

I have been working on Chevrolet and other makes for 30 years. I can answer almost all Mechanical, electrical, suspension, steering, runability, questions. I can not answer questions about body work.

I owned three auto repair shops. I also worked at Ford dealerships and Chevy dealerships.

Master ASE Certified

My shop in Champaign, IL was voted best Auto Repair Shop in Champaign, County in 2013.