Childbirth/Conception query

Hi catherine, so i have a bit of a dilemenna all based on my stupidity... On the morning of 17th may 2014 i got extremely drunk and ended up having a 1 night stand i do not remember if it was protected or unprotected disgraceful behaviour i know!! On may 22-24 i had sex unprotected with my long term boyfriend.... On may 31st i took a pregnancy test and it showed not pregnant... On june 5th i got extremely bad cramping that lasted for 1 day no bleed just very bad cramping and after that my nipples started to get tender! My periods have always been very irregular and i had recently been on the pill but missed a week at the begining of may! I took a pregnancy test on 26th june and it said i was 3plus weeks pregnant! On july 11th i did an abdominal ultrasound and they dated me at 8 weeks 1 day pregnant puting my conception date at 29th may and my due date at 19th february 2015 at my next scan they put me at 13 weeks and 2 days pregnant puting my conception date at 26th may and a due date at 16th february 2015 in my heart of hearts i believe my boyfriend is the dad your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appriciated!!! Thanks very much

Hi Elaine,

Your boyfriend is the father without question.  Sperm can only live in the reproductive tract for up to 5 days, so there is no way you could have conceived from that encounter given your ultrasound results.  You also had your ultrasounds at the most accurate time in pregnancy so you definitely conceived near the 26th of May, which fits perfectly with the dates of intercourse with your boyfriend, as you are most likely to conceive from intercourse in the two days prior to ovulation, which is exactly what happened in your case.

Catherine Beier MS CBE

I can provide evidence-based information and current research findings concerning childbirth and pregnancy. My specializations include natural childbirth, pregnancy and birth interventions, fetal positioning, labor induction, choosing a care provider, midwives, homebirth, unassisted birth, natural pain relief, medications in pregnancy and birth, informed consent, understanding the risks and benefits of childbirth choices, doulas, waterbirth, childbirth methods, childbirth education classes, cesarean section, and VBAC.

I have been a childbirth educator, mother, author, public speaker, researcher, and birth advocate for the past 9 years. I am also the author of, a site dedicated to natural childbirth and pregnancy information. I publish evidence-based articles on pregnancy, childbirth, newborn care, and post-partum care. I'm also a mother of three children, two daughters and one son all born naturally.

My book, Birth Outside the Box, was published in 2007.

I hold a Master's degree in communication disorders with an emphasis in child development. I am also an independent childbirth educator.