Chimney & Fireplaces/timberline fireplace

I just purchased a home that has a timberline airtight wood stove built into a large stone fireplace.  The doors are missing on the stove and I wondered if anyone makes a set of doors that would work on the unit or if there is an insert that could be installed to make the unit functional?  The previous owner said the chimney is clay tile and I would like to replace it with a flexible stainless steel liner - am I on the right track or do I need to replace the whole thing and start over?

You are on the right track.  What it sounds like is what we in the business call a "slammer".  The insert has been installed into the fireplace without the benefit of being properly connected to a chimney liner.  Unfortunately I do not know of a retailer for the doors you need but none the less that is likely an older unit that does not meet current EPA requirements and therefore you might have problems with the local code official in getting an insulated liner installed and connected to that appliance with approval.
I would really consider a new unit from scratch and make sure once the unit is removed that the fireplace get inspected (Level II)and swept.  Anytime a "slammer" is removed the creosote build up is unreal and very ripe for a chimney fire.
Also ensure that if you do have a stainless steel liner installed that it is properly insulated as any solid fuel ie wood, coal or pellet is required to be insulated.
I hope this has been helpful.  Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.  Thank you.

Chimney & Fireplaces

Paul Karthaeuser

I am a Chimney/State Licensed Building Inspector and New Jersey State Superior Court Recognized Expert Witness in the chimney, hearth and venting categories. I hold certifications in sweeping chimneys, installing wood and pellet stoves, chimney inspections and have performed countless repairs and rebuilds of chimneys. I perform many inspections for real estate transactions, school systems and churches as well as residential chimney inspections and repairs. Experience is good, education with experience is better. Ask me anything fireplace, woodstove, chimney, pellet stove or venting related. Any questions related to a chimney, hearth appliance or venting system for residential use.

I have seven years experience in the field with inspections, repairs and installations of all types of hearth appliances fired by wood, wood pellets, coal, oil and gas. Fireplaces, pellet stoves, woodstoves, inserts and factory built systems.

International Association of Fireplace and Chimney Inspectors-Charter Member New Jersey Chimney Sweep Guild-President (past) New Jersey Chimney Sweep Guild- current Member Board of Directors-(past) National Fire Protection Assc.- member Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Assc.-member

State Licensed Building Inspector- NJ License #010429 I.A.F.C.I. Certified Professional Inspector CPI-#009 F.I.R.E. Certified Fireplace and Chimney Inspector #FP-168 National Fireplace Institute-Certified Woodburning Specialist #157063 -Certified Pellet-burning Specialist #157063 C.S.I.A. Certified Chimney Sweep #6587 NJ Superior Court Recognized Expert Witness- Chimney, Venting and Hearth Appliances

Various churches, school systems and private residential clients represented in court matters.