Chimney & Fireplaces/adding a fireplace or stove

Hi, James.
You may not have heard this one before.  We live in an end-unit condominium built in mid-late '40's.  It used to have radiator steam heat from oil tanks located a few hunderd yards away--now tennis courts.  There is a chimney that seems like it functioned for the steam heat, and we know that a few units have fireplaces.  I'm interested in applying for a permit to get a woodstove installed since this is an all-electric HVAC setup.  Do you think it's possible to adapt whatever was in place before, so that we could have a stove? Thank you for your time to consider the question.
Paul in Arlington, VA

Hello Paul, yes if there is an un used flue and you could reline it you should be ok (or you could install a double wall pipe up the side or inside of the building) I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified