Chimney & Fireplaces/chimney removal

Question
QUESTION: we removed the top part of a wood burning fireplacechimney when we did the roof and that winter the wall and the box started sweating and this year we would like to put in a electric fireplace but we dont know how to stop the sweating could help us thanks marilyn

ANSWER: Hello Marilyn, I am not sure I understand what you did, you removed the "top part of wood burning fireplace" did you remove the smoke pipe and cap? Did you remove part of a metal "pre Fab" fireplace? is the roof still water tight? is this a Gas fired unit?
either way I  would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James

QUESTION: we removed the top part that is on the roof and roofed over the the chimmney there was no steel pipe just brick there is a fule our dampper handle we have not touched just keeping it closed but we want to rempove to put in electric insert the moisture is comming from the box and the wall ontop of thefireplce opening

Answer
Welcome back Marilyn, not sure where the moisture is coming from either a bad roofing job or if you are heating with natural gas then that might be venting into the closed chimney (I hope not this can be deadly), get a certified sweep to take a first hand look.
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball