Chimney & Fireplaces/leaking and co problem

Question
I had a chimney built a year ago so I could start burning wood. The chimney is made of block with a ceramic liner on the outside of the house. The stove is located in the basement of my house and the thimble is under ground along with the cleanout. The first year I had an old huntsman stove. When I began burning the stove water started leaking out of the thimble. This problem continued through out the winter. I just bought a new forced hot air stove and I hoped it would burn a little hotter and solve my issue. I hooked it up and it worked great all day. The next morning I went downstairs and there was creasol water that leaked out of the thimble and out of the bottom of the stove as if it was running back into the stove. I added wood that morning and went to work. I came home and did not add wood. At about 10 pm my co detector began going off and there was high levels of co in the main floor of my house. The chimney was clear but the pipes were backed up. I need this leaking to stop but I have no clue how to stop it. Please Help
Thanks Cory

Answer
Hello Cory, 1st if the "thimble is underground" it will never heat up and cause the creosote to build up much faster also you maybe getting ground water in the thimble area adding to the problem, Out side chimneys are creosote machines, I would have an insulated SS liner installed (I would have done a SS all fuel double wall chimney installed instead of masonry) not sure why the CO detector went off, has it happen since? when was the unit cleaned last, what is the size of the flue? it can not be any larger than 7" x 7" inside any larger and it is not to code for a 6" stove collar and that too might be giving you some of your problems. I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
good luck and keep me posted
Hope this helps
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball