Chimney & Fireplaces/Insulate Lower Vent Prefab Fireplace

Question
I have a prefabricated fireplace that had exposed hard wire entering a hole in the metal wall of the bottom circulating vent box when I bought the home. I'm assuming this once ran to a blower that had been removed. I had previously removed the wire from this area but am left with the hole. Bugs and Cold Air love coming in through this access. I put a square of Vycor to temporally cover the hole today. The cold air is pouring in. I am not using the fireplace so is the Vycor ok? I would love to cover/insulate  the back side of the bottom louvered vent to block all air entry. I know I could not if I was using the fireplace. Is it acceptable to do this as I am not using it?

Answer
Hello Melissa, not sure what you have there, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help. you may not use it but forget and someone might.
Hope this helps
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball