Chimney & Fireplaces/Converting from wood to gas logs

Question
I have a heatilator mark123 fireplace. I just had gas installed in my house and would like to convert it to gas logs from wood burning. I asked heatilator and they said the mark 123 was never tested for that. The question still remains. can it be done safely?

Answer
Hello Rob, when a manufacturer "tests" a unit they run tests to see how it will perform safely, if not tested you  might be playing with fire, now add to it the condition of your fireplace, might not be a good idea, also gas logs will need a "stop" installed that will hold the damper open about 1", that can allow a lot of heat to vent up the chimney 24/7 or flow Cold air down, it can not be removed, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help at least evaluate the chimney.
Hope this helps
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball