Chimney & Fireplaces/how to remove this elco insert

Question
before
before  

after
after  
I want to remove this elco insert and replace it with a gas insert. When I removed the brick surround this is what I found. Not sure how to proceed.it looks like the insert is acting as a lintel for the block above. The house was built in 1920 and the fireplace was remodeled in the late 80s. Not sure how much of this block is original and how much is from the remodel in the 80s.

Answer
Hello David, not sure what you have there, but it was built ingot hat chimney for sure,  and maybe structural at this point. I would have a Mason and a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball