Chimney & Fireplaces/Smell from Propane Gas Stove

Question
A few years ago, our chimney sweep advised us that our flue/tiles at top were cracked. At that point, we purchased and converted our woodstove with a Quadra fire propane stove installed and direct vented up the existing chimney (4 inch flex liner).

This was done without having the chimney relined or the flue repaired. We have been getting an odor when the propane stove is lit, strong enough that it is irritating to the eyes.

Do you think the cracked flue could cause this issue? It was our understanding that if the stove was direct vented, the condition of the chimney flue would not be an issue.

We appreciate your expert opinion.
Thank You!

Answer
Hello Kevin, It is my understanding that all inserts, stoves, that are going into a fireplace, that fireplace must be up to code, (read the install on the unit you have), now I don't think that cracked tiles are the problem but you may have a blockage of some kind backing up that smell and fumes, do not use this unit until it has been checked by doe one that know some thing about that type of unit (the store you bought it from, a Gas Heath expert and so on or have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James
Happy Thanksgiving

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball