Chimney & Fireplaces/Smoke chamber parging repair

I was cleaning the firebox of our fireplace which was recently relined with a ss flex liner when I noticed chunks and flakes of a mortor like material falling down from inside the firebox just above the opening. I looked inside and noticed the everything above the opening seemed to be coated with some type of sprayed on material.

After noodling around on the Internet I am guessing it is Smoktite, or Chamber crown.

We do not have a damper and I noticed an oddly shaped protrusion next to the opening of the flue.I grabbed the thing to see what it was and it broke off. It turned out to be a piece of insulation coated with this material.

The stuff coating the insulation is like a hard  shell. Looking at it a bit more the inside of the shell seemed very crumbly and when rubbed broke apart into a course gray powder.

Can I repair the exposed insulation and the areas of brick with refrectory cement or do I need to use the same material ?

Also how do you clean the smoke chamber and upper fire box of creosote without damaging the sprayed on  parging material?

Thanks L

Hello Lawrence, not sure what thou have there, but a few things, 1st, if you get me fireplace opening size I can get you the right size for that liner (to be sure), 2nd, not sure what you have in that smoke chamber but if it is that "soft", I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified