Chimney & Fireplaces/2 flues in one chimney?

Hello.  Our new  home is about 100 years old.  there is a fireplace in the center of the first floor.  unfortunately, at some point the oil furnace was moved to the same flue as the chimney.  Our home is freezing and our oil bill costly.  A wood burning insert is what we would like.  Can a second flue be installed safely in the current chimney?

Hello Midge, you can not mix liquid and solid fuels in the same flue, you can how ever install a wood stove any where and just run a new All Fuel chimney indie and out out out the side of the home and up, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
Happy New Year

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified