Chimney & Fireplaces/2 flues in one chimney?

Question
Hello.  Our new  home is about 100 years old.  there is a fireplace in the center of the first floor.  unfortunately, at some point the oil furnace was moved to the same flue as the chimney.  Our home is freezing and our oil bill costly.  A wood burning insert is what we would like.  Can a second flue be installed safely in the current chimney?

Answer
Hello Midge, you can not mix liquid and solid fuels in the same flue, you can how ever install a wood stove any where and just run a new All Fuel chimney indie and out out out the side of the home and up, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
Happy New Year
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball