Chimney & Fireplaces/earthstove

recently purchased an older earth stove there is a 1" pipe that comes from the back of stove and goes 4'up the flue what purpose does it serve and is it necessary to use it or can I weld the hole in the back shut

Hello Richard, not sure what you have there, do you have the owners manual? or make and model? maybe I can find it, but if it was made that way I would not weld it shut, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified