Chimney & Fireplaces/Refractory Plates on Fireplace Appliance

Question
I have a visible crack on the back plate and a small hairline crack on the bottom plate of my fireplace. We burn compressed logs with small amounts of real wood.  It is a gas fireplace (gas not hooked up) What is the danger is operating the fireplace as is? Are the refractory plates used to only direct heat and for aesthetics or do they also serve a safety function?

Answer
Hello Tim, they are for safety, and reflect the heat off the walls and floor as there is only thin metal box behind it, so any crack in any panel should be replaced, you would need the model # and make and then find them, also you should find and read the owners manual and read and follow it, most star Not Not Burn Manufactured Logs (duraflame or compressed type). I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball