Chimney & Fireplaces/Basement woodburing fireplace

Question
Firebox
Firebox  

Fireplace
Fireplace  
Dear Expert, I bought a house built in 1946 with a basement woodburning fireplace which has two vents on each side and a metal firebox instead of firebrick.  I had a chimney sweep inspect it a couple years ago and it checked OK. I had a basement water problem fixed a couple years ago.  The problem is the bottom 3-4 inches of the firebox is rusted off, it looks like previous repairs were adding mortar sloped up the sides of the box.  Can I chisel the old mortar out, add new metal then add new mortar to finish it off?  I really would like to keep it.  Thank you, Art.

Answer
Hello Arthur, what you have is called a Heatolator, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help and tell what condition it is in.
Hope this helps
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball