Chimney & Fireplaces/chimney liner and cover

Question
I have a 50 year old home since new. We are facing a Blizzard and may need fireplace I have only used it 2 or 3 times and was told I need a new liner and a cover(of which I never had) everything else is working. Can I use this fireplace? Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hello Chris, I am in CT and waiting this storm also, good luck, with out seeing or having that chimney checked I would say not to use it,  you could have some thing living in there, or it could not but safe, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help., At the very least have a cap installed, and be sure the fireplace is safe to use.
Hope this helps
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball