Chimney & Fireplaces/new construction for wood stove

HI - We are putting a two story addition on home with a convertible Cat/Non–Cat Wood Burning Stove (Depth: 22 3/4” Height: 25 3/4” Width: 27”) on the lower floor. The architect put a chimney chase on the outside going from the ground up (about 25'). The chimney design is brick 32" wide and 24" deep. It looks like i can have 6" or 8" flue. What should I choose and what should i put in the chimney like insulation? Is there a foam that can be sprayed in there? If I want to use outside air can this run through the chase too?

Hello Craig, you have to follow the owners manual instruction for all installations (if you don't have the owners manual find the make and model number and do a google search, I might be able to help too), so if it states a 6" collar on the stove you have to use 6" double wall all fuel chimney, you can not insulate the stoves pipe but you can insulate the inside of the chase, check with your local building department for local codes that may apply to you install.
hope this helped

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified