Chimney & Fireplaces/Want to seal main floor chimney opening

Question
Moose head
Moose head  
moose head 2
moose head 2  
QUESTION: Purchased the house a few years back. At some point it had a wood burner in the basement. We removed the wood burner that was on the main floor for child related safety reasons. Our intention is there will never replace the main floor unit but may install one in the basement. Question is, how do I remove and seal the "moose head" (see pics)sticking out of the wall and seal the chimney for possible future use.  In the second pic I have slid a sleeve forward about 1" to reveal a grey material. End result would be to repair the hole in the wall with drywall and repaint.

ANSWER: Hello Ryan, what is behind the wall? it looks like a "Wall Thimble/pass through" to a class A All flue chimney (does it go out side and up the side), you maybe able to un twist (counter clock wise) that pipe but the wall thimble might need to open the wall. alot depends on what that "Moose head" connects to. I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James

QUESTION: The Chimney is inside an exterior wall. It is only about 13 years old so I believe it is lined with clay flue liner. If it is, can the hole be sealed? so I can use a stove on a lower level.

Answer
WElcome back Ryan, yes you can brick and cement that whole after the piping is removed, if the flue goes all the way to the bottom then you can reline that flue with an insulated SS liner but the flue must be cleaned and video scanned (also check you local building department for permits, still, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball