Chimney & Fireplaces/Damper and odor
I have a Silent Flame insert and I don't know whether do pull out the damper or push it in to start a fire. And how to after it starts burning. Also I have a strong odor like wet ashes and I keep mine clean inside and also have my chimney cleaned but it does not help, it will make you sick smelling the odor. Please help me !!1
Hello Barbara, I have no information on that stove, and not sure how the damper works, or if you are adjusting an air intake or damper. did you do a search on the net for that stove (You may need to look on the back of the unit for a Tag, this will have the model # and address of the manufacture and a good place to start. Once you find out how to close the damper that should help with the odor, which is being pulled down by the hot air raising and getting out of the homie called Negative Pressure, as a last resort you might need to replace that stove with a newer more efficient one that is properly installed with a proper liner, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps