Chimney & Fireplaces/chimney cap

Question
I have a furnace chimney size about 12 x 18 inches with a flue about 6 inches diameter. the flue does not go all the way to the top. I would like to put a stone cap on top of the chimney. what should be the space between the cap and the chimney? how much (approximately) should the job cost( roof is two stories high and has a steep pitch)?

Answer
Hello David, I do not do Masonry but, I would say if you raised the flag stone up about 10", (I would put screen in at that point but not laying flat across the top) you should be ok, as far as price, if scaffolding is required , maybe 2-3000, not sure.
hope this  helped
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball